CIHEAM Zaragoza promotes and coordinates cooperative research networks in order to facilitate the collaboration between experts belonging to research teams from Mediterranean countries with the objectives of:
- Making a shared analysis of problems affecting Mediterranean agriculture.
- Conducting a common search for results.
- Enabling the exchange of results, harmonizing methodologies and applied techniques.
- Publishing results relevant to the Mediterranean region.
The research networks are structured groups of researchers working on common scientific areas, with a stable coordination structure and a large and consolidated participation of persons, institutions and countries. The topics of the networks currently promoted by the CIHEAM Zaragoza are: nut production, small ruminants, and pastures and fodder crops. Other topics have also been dealt with in the past, such as cereals and legumes, drought management, fisheries, aquaculture, food safety, Mediterranean rabbit production, mycorrhizae, etc.
The level of activity and the type of action carried out by the networks vary according to the specific objectives fixed, the availability of the participants, the degree of scientific coordination and the synergy with the activities carried out by other national or international institutions associated to the CIHEAM Zaragoza. Activities generally fall into the following categories:
- Organization of seminars, symposiums, conferences and courses.
- Publications in scientific journals.
- Mediterranean-scope research work using common methodologies.
- Preparation and development of joint research projects.
- Exchange of information and materials.