Integrated Pest Management (IPM) is based on a diversity of pest management measures (prevention, non-chemical control, best practices for optimizing pesticide efficiency, etc.). These are combined at the farm level to enable reduced reliance on pesticides, and therefore a decrease in the exposure of the environment and people to pesticides. Rare pioneer farmers throughout Europe are testing such IPM strategies and are succeeding in achieving good
outcomes with low pesticide inputs. However the majority of European farmers still rely heavily on pesticides, with major environmental and societal impacts, because most of them have not adopted a comprehensive, farm-level and holistic IPM strategy so far. The objective of IPMWORKS is to promote the adoption of IPM strategies, based on a EU-wide network of
farmers, who will both progress further in the adoption of IPM – through peer-to-peer learning and joint efforts – and demonstrate to other farmers that holistic IPM “works”; i.e. allows a low reliance on pesticides with better pest control, reduced costs and enhanced profitability. IPMWORKS will coordinate existing networks promoting IPM and launch new hubs of farms in regions or sectors where IPM pioneers are not yet engaged in a relevant network.
Advisors coordinating hubs will have a major role in facilitating knowledge sharing, coaching farmers to find their own IPM solutions, and organising local demonstration activities. IPMWORKS will stimulate access to the ‘IPM Decisions’ platform and provide information on the IPM methods. It will collect data for comparing IPM strategies, and share results and dissemination material through channels widely used by farmers, broadcasting IPM success stories. It will organise training, and produce training material, targeting both farmers outside the network and advisory services, in order to prepare for the future dissemination of the peer-to-peer learning approach and the general adoption of IPM throughout the EU.
INSTITUT NATIONAL DE RECHERCHE POUR L'AGRICULTURE, L'ALIMENTATION ET L'ENVIRONNEMENT (INRAE) - France
Source of funding
: European Union’s Horizon 2020 Programme under grant agreement No. 101000339
Programme and Contact references
: H-2020 – INRAE Nathalie Munier-Jolain
: 6 000 005,00 €
- INRAE TRANSFERT SAS (IT) - France
- EIGEN VERMOGEN VAN HET INSTITUUT VOOR LANDBOUW- EN VISSERIJONDERZOEK (EVILVO) - Belgium
- ASSEMBLEE PERMANENTE DES CHAMBRES D'AGRICULTURE (APCA) - France
- DELPHY BV DELPHY (DELPHY) - Netherlands
- RSK ADAS LIMITED (ADAS) - U.K.
- CONSULAI, CONSULTORIA AGROINDUSTRIAL LDA (CONSULAI) - Portugal
- Mediterranean Agronomic Institute of Zaragoza / International Centre for Advanced Mediterranean Agronomic Studies (IAMZ – CIHEAM) - Spain
- STICHTING WAGENINGEN RESEARCH (WR) - Netherlands
- AARHUS UNIVERSITET (AU) - Denmark
- KUJAWSKO-POMORSKI OSRODEK DORADZTWA ROLNICZEGO W MINIKOWIE (KPODR) - Poland
- UNIVERSITA CATTOLICA DEL SACRO CUORE (UCSC) - Italy
- THE JAMES HUTTON INSTITUTE (JHI) - U.K.
- Association de Coordination Technique Agricole (ACTA) - France
- LINKING ENVIRONMENT AND FARMING LBG (LEAF) - U.K.
- INSTITUTO NAVARRO DE TECNOLOGIAS E INFRAESTRUCTURAS AGROALIMENTARIAS SA (INTIA) - Spain
- INAGRO, PROVINCIAAL EXTERN VERZELFSTANDIGD AGENTSCHAP IN PRIVAATRECHTELIJKE VORM VZW (INAGRO) - Belgium
- KMETIJSKO GOZDARSKA ZBORNICA SLOVENIJE KMETIJSKO GOZDARSKI ZAVOD MARIBOR (KGZS MB) - Slovenia
- FUNDACION EMPRESA UNIVERSIDAD GALLEGA (FEUGA) - Spain
- DJURSLAND LANDBOFORENING (DL) - Denmark
- VELA I/S (VELAS) - Denmark
- PROAGRIA ETELA-SUOMI RY (ProAgria) - Finland
- TEAGASC - AGRICULTURE AND FOOD DEVELOPMENT AUTHORITY (TEAGASC) - Ireland
- GRUENLANDZENTRUM NIEDERSACHEN/BREMEN E.V. (GLZ) - Germany
- ASOCIACION DE ORGANIZACIONES DE PRODUCTORES DE FRUTAS Y HORTALIZAS DE ALMERIA (COEXPHAL) - Spain
- INTERNATIONAL FEDERATION OF ORGANIC AGRICULTURE MOVEMENTS EUROPEAN UNION REGIONAL GROUP (IFOAM EU) - Sweden
- JULIUS KUHN-INSTITUT BUNDESFORSCHUNGSINSTITUT FUR KULTURPFLANZEN (JKI) - Germany
- SCUOLA SUPERIORE DI STUDI UNIVERSITARI E DI PERFEZIONAMENTO S ANNA (SSSA) - Italy
- GEOPONIKO PANEPISTIMION ATHINON (AUA) - Greece
- EIDGENOESSISCHES DEPARTEMENT FUER WIRTSCHAFT, BILDUNG UND FORSCHUNG (Agroscope) - Switzerland
- BIOSENSE INSTITUTE – RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT INSTITUTE FOR INFORMATION TECHNOLOGIES IN BIOSYSTEMS (BIOSENSE) - Serbia