Within the framework of its European and International Projects portfolio, the IAMZ is looking for an EU Project Manager to manage a portfolio of projects in the agro-food area.
IAMZ is looking for a highly motivated and dynamic individual with a minimum of 3 years work experience who is able to work in a competitive international environment, managing EU projects and preparing submissions for funding opportunities in the food, agriculture and related areas.
Working under the supervision of the IAMZ Director for Innovation and International Projects and working with various IAMZ colleagues from several departments, the project manager will be responsible for the following tasks:
Managing the day to day IAMZ activities relating to two on-going H2020 European Projects:
- Managing organisational activities related to two EU H2020 projects on (i) Integrated Pesticides Management (IPMWORKS) and (ii) sustainable cultural tourism (SmartCulTour);
- Setting up appropriate governance and organisational mechanisms to carry out activities foreseen in the projects which will involve liaison with national and European authorities, tendering of services to implement the established activities and overseeing implementation of the EU project at the local level;
- Managing logistical, financial, budgetary, EC reporting and other organisational activities related to the projects through the appropriate EU platforms;
- Implementing dissemination activities related to the projects (website and social media development, stakeholder listings, press, publications and practice abstracts, video and multi-media, campaign development, conferences and workshops);
- Assisting in the implementation of specific activities foreseen in the projects and international liaison with the project coordinators, other partners, etc. on the implementation of activities foreseen in the project.
Other EU and International Project activities:
- Drafting and assisting in preparing competitive proposals (cost estimates, programming, logistics planning and general drafting) for H2020 and PRIMA Research funding submissions in agriculture, food and related areas;
- Preparing competitive bids and tender submissions for the European Commission Food Safety Training Programme – BTSF submissions.
- Drafting of project proposals and identifying funding opportunities for research and cooperation work in other national; European and international projects, as appropriate.
The candidate should have demonstrated experience in a number of the following areas:
- Preparing project submissions and/or project proposals for EU and national funding opportunities either in the agro-food or regional development area or demonstrated success in another thematic area, such as health, technology, etc.;
- Implementing and managing national and EU/International co/operation projects;
- Experience working with project budgets and reporting on financial and operational deadlines;
- Highly developed drafting skills in English (official language of submission for the above tendering procedures and the language used for implementing the H2020 project):
- Bidding for competitive processes and obtaining funding from donor organisations;
- Working across teams and as part of international consortiums on developing joint proposals;
- Experience working with delegated responsibilities but reporting regularly back to their supervisor and team members;
- Participating in European and International networks or experience working in EU/International organisations.
- Knowledge of Integrated Pesticides Management techniques, plant health, plant biology etc. would be an asset.
The following specific skills are sought:
- English language (Minimum C1 level both drafting and spoken);
- Very good working knowledge of Spanish (minimum C1). French as well as other languages would be an asset;
- Advanced higher degree or first degree in an agro-food area, natural sciences or similar;
- Good knowledge of the EU/International institutions;
- Proficient Excel, budget and planning tools user, in addition to standard word processing and other basic computer skills, with diagrams being an asset.
- Flexibility to work in a wide range of agriculture, food and rural development areas.
We are looking for a person who has a structured approach to their work and who is pro-active, takes initiative, is an out-going person with a can-do attitude who has demonstrated measurable success in previous roles in achieving key targets and goals. The project manager should also have strong interpersonal and communications skills, as a part of the work will involve sourcing and convincing leading experts to join consortia and take part in proposals. The project manager should be ready and available to travel, mainly in Spain and Europe but also globally. The place of work will be IAMZ, Aula Dei, Montañana, Zaragoza.
The Mediterranean Agronomic Institute of Zaragoza (IAMZ) is one of the four Institutes of the International Centre for Advanced Agronomic Mediterranean Studies (CIHEAM), together with Bari in Italy, Montpellier in France and Chania in Greece. IAMZ was founded in 1969, offering complementary quality and excellence in international training and cooperation through research project management based on IAMZ’s five fields of expertise: Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture, Animal Production, Plant Production and Food Technology and Agro-food Marketing. IAMZ has become consolidated as a point of reference for specialized international training in the agro-food sector.
The IAMZ partners in training, collaborating with universities, companies and other international organisations (OECD, FAO, UN, WTO, EFSA, EC, ICARDA, EEAP, etc.) through research projects and networks to design and tailor courses and training activities according to the needs and objectives of our partners, but mainly to help them disseminate the outcome of their projects and network activities.
Terms and conditions: Initial six month contract under Spanish employment law with possibility of renewal. The person employed will work principally on the SmartCulTour and IPMWORKS H2020 project which have secured funding until 2023-2024.
Please note that shortlisted candidates selected for interview for this contract may be expected to sit in advance a short English drafting exercise, complete a practical test and demonstrate a proficient user level of Excel budgets.
Applications are to be sent before midnight on 16th July 2020 in English to IAMZ, Zaragoza (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the reference “EU Project Manager” in the subject line, preferably in Europass format accompanied by a one page motivation letter. Please desist from applying if you do not have a strong set of “Specific skills” as indicated above.
Remuneration: Dependent on experience.