Next edition: 1st part: October 2022 – June 2023 / 2nd part: September 2023 – June 2024
Master landing page
Whilst the demand for fish and other aquaculture products has shown a worldwide increase in recent years, fisheries landings have stagnated at 100 million tonnes per year for the past decade, due to restrictions to avoid overexploitation of the fishing grounds. As a consequence of this situation, the production of aquatic organisms in controlled conditions has spread worldwide, becoming a real alternative to satisfy the increase in demand for these products at present and in the immediate future.
In the Mediterranean, a traditional fish-consuming region, the actual and potential development of aquaculture is very high, in molluscs and in finfish, originating a demand for highly-trained experts for different areas of the sector. The Master, both for its theoretical and its practical content, responds fully to the objective of training these specialists.
The Master has been offered since 1997 and its contents are updated and revised for each new edition. It is held every two years.
The Master is held in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, jointly organized with the Universidad de Las Palmas de Gran Canaria (ULPGC). It is structured in two parts (120 ECTS) held in two academic years, and it is an official Master of the Spanish university system within the framework of the European Space for Higher Education.
The Master enables participants to:
- Become acquainted with the most innovative scientific and technological bases of the different specialities (genetics, nutrition, reproduction, pathology, engineering, etc.) which support the development of aquaculture
- Acquire practical experience in production methods and techniques
- Become familiar with the different production systems of the species that are most relevant at world level, with special emphasis on the Mediterranean species
- Become acquainted with the necessary requirements to elaborate and develop a modern aquaculture project
- Acquire basic knowledge for technical and commercial management of aquaculture businesses
- Be initiated into research, critically applying acquired knowledge, capacities and abilities to the treatment of problems related to aquaculture
- Exchange experiences and points of view, enhanced through a programme developed in a highly international and interprofessional context
- First part (first academic year): October-June, 60 ECTS
- Second part (second academic year): 10 months, 60 ECTS
For further information on the syllabus and study guides please refer to the Web of the Master available in the web page of the Faculty of Marine Sciences of the University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria (ULPGC)